Acupuncture for Pregnancy
The acupuncture team at the Alma Vale Centre have a wealth of experience in treating women throughout their pregnancy. Jill Glover and Helen Fielding each have over 30 years experience.
Your acupuncture will be tailored to your individual needs; you are in safe hands.
Acupuncture can be very supportive through your pregnancy. During the first trimester, nausea and fatigue may impacting your health. Acupuncture treatment is safe and supportive. When emotions are unpredictable, acupuncture treatment will balance your energy and reduce stress.
We may show you relevant acupressure points, so you can continue to help yourself.
Acupuncture can help to prevent miscarriage. It strengthens your energy, and supports embryo growth. In Chinese Medicine, imbalances that affect fertility can also cause. miscarriage.
Pregnancy Health Issues
Acupuncture offers you an effective form of treatment in preventing ill health. It helps you avoid the use of medication, medical intervention or treatment. It can provide relief for many of the health issues that can occur during pregnancy. It also offers post-natal health and support.
Acupuncture can provide relief from:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Fatigue and exhaustion
- Anxiety, Insomnia & depression
- Lower back pain and sciatica
- Rib pain
- Symphysis pubis pain
- Urinary tract infections
- Varicose veins
- Breech and Posterior babies
- Post natal depression
- C section pain
Breech babies can be turned to a cephalic position (head down) using moxabustion.
This treatment is most effective from 35 – 36 weeks, although babies can turn up to 40 weeks.
You will be given a treatment of moxabustion on acu point Bl 67, and instruction how to do this at home. This is a twice-daily treatment for 10 days for optimal success.
Studies show babies stay cephalic more with acupuncture than ECV. There is less need for oxytocin during delivery, and the babies’ need less neonatal care.
This can be part of your Pre Birth Acupuncture treatment.
- Acupuncture has been proven to reduce the symptoms of morning sickness. (2002, Adelaide University)
- Acupuncture has been found to reduce the experience of pain in labour. A secondary outcome of acupuncture was a shorter delivery time. (2002, Skilnand)
- Acupuncture has been proven to reduce pelvic girdle pain during pregnancy (2005, Institute for the health of Women and Children, Sahlgrenska Academy Gothernburg, Sweden)
- 70% of women responded postively to treatment with acupuncture for depression during pregnancy. (2004, Stanford University)
- 88% women with breech babies had normal vaginal delivery after moxibustion to turn breech baby (2008 Manyande & Grabowska)
- Acupuncture and acupressure reduce pain, increase satisfaction with pain management and reduce pharmacological management (2011 Smith at al, Cochrane)